CWC Mt. Diablo Presents
March WORKSHOP – In-Person and Online*
In person meeting includes lunch. For online attendees—the Zoom link will be sent to you after you complete the registration process.
March 12, 2022
Time: 9:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.
In-person check in time is 8:30 a.m.
SCROLL DOWN TO REGISTER
Constance Hale is a San Francisco–based journalist and the author of cheeky writing manuals, a book for adults on hula, and a picture book for children set in Hawai‘i. Her articles have appeared in the New York Times, the LA Times, and many magazines. In 2019, she published Writing Character, a book chock-full of thoughts, tips, and prompts that is part of the Lit Starts series, produced by The Writers Grotto.She is an energetic workshop leader, and she covers the writing life at sinandsyntax.com.
Storytellers—whether they are novelists, memoirists, or narrative journalists—know that characters are key to any great yarn. Readers love people, and writers must deliver through short sketches to longer portraits to full-length biographies. Yet developing characters is trickier than you might think. Especially minor ones, where few words must make an impression. Connie Hale, who has made the profile her preferred form, gives us readings, interactive exercises, and prompts from her book Writing Character.
Skills you will Sharpen in this Workshop:
- Rendering the physical presence of a person so that a reader might recognize the character on the street.
- Capturing a character’s inner life through observed behaviors.
- Nailing character in three descriptive words.
- Treating yourself—author, narrator, first-person voice—as a character.
- 8:30 – 9:00 – Check In
- 9:00 – 12:00 – Workshop
- 12:00 – 1:00 – Lunch
CWC Mt. Diablo COVID-19 GUIDELINES FOR IN-PERSON MEETINGS
- CWC-Mt. Diablo Branch will abide by all state and local guidelines to ensure attendees’ safety.
- If you are not fully vaccinated, not feeling well, or are uncomfortable with in-person meetings, please do not attend.
- Proof of vaccination may be required at entrance to the restaurant.
- Masks must be worn at all times when not actively eating or drinking.
For complete information, see Contra Costa Health Department for new local health orders.
New For Mt. Diablo Members!
Guest Voucher Program
Give a friend $10.00 off a General Meeting or Workshop (Zoom or in-Person).
- Invite a guest who has never attended Mt. Diablo meeting
- Request a voucher for your guest for $10.00 off a Zoom meeting or workshop.
- We will email your guest a voucher number and link to register for the meeting. We’ll also notify you that we’ve done this.
- Your guest registers for the meeting, enters the voucher number, and receives a $10.00 discount.
Looking for handouts or other material from a past meeting? Click Here!
Meeting Cost In Person (includes lunch)
*Early Registration: $45 CWC Members (any branch) and $55 Non-CWC-Members
*Late Registration: $50 CWC Members (any branch) and $60 Non-CWC Members
Meeting Cost Online (Zoom)
$25 CWC Members and $30 Non-CWC-Members
PayPal or Credit/Debit Card Only
*Early Registration for In-Person Attendance ends:
March 9, 2022, 12:00 p.m.
The venue needs an estimated headcount by this time. However, your reservation is accepted through Friday at 8: p.m.
Walk-ins are welcome.
Fill out the form below.
You will be taken to a Paypal page after you click SUBMIT below. If you are paying by credit card, look for the “pay with credit or debit card” line on the Paypal page. You do not need a Paypal account.
By registering for this meeting, you acknowledge that the meeting may be recorded. Your consent is implied when you register.
Questions? Email Marlene Dotterer at firstname.lastname@example.org.