In-Person and Zoom
In person meeting includes buffet lunch. For online attendees—the Zoom link will be sent to you after you complete the registration process.
February 12, 2022
11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
In-person check-in begins at 11:00 a.m.
Build an Author Platform that Sells Books
(Even if the Word “Platform” Scares You!)
SCROLL DOWN TO REGISTER
Even if you self-publish or use a hybrid press, you need a platform if you want readers to find you. What exactly is a platform? It’s all of the ways you leverage your expertise and tap your network to sell books: bylines in high-circulation publications, a social media following, organizational affiliations, your website, and media interviews. This presentation offers insider tips to build a strong platform and network—even if you’re an introvert. Discover how to grow your audience, boost your book sales, and even bring agents and the media to you.
What you will learn:
- Craft an author bio that promotes your book and platform
- Position yourself as an expert so the media comes to you
- Get major media attention without a huge social media following
- Think like a media outlet when designing your author website
- Leverage a media interview or presentation so it results in book sales
Joey Garcia is an editor and author platform coach. Her clients have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, Smithsonian magazine, Ms. magazine, CNN, and The Tamron Hall Show, among others. In 2014, during her book tour for When Your Heart Breaks, It’s Opening to Love, Garcia leveraged her relationship advice book to become the invited on-air Relationship Expert for Fox40-TV, a gig she still holds. She’s also been featured in HuffPost, USA Today, Deutsche Welle, KVIE public television, Global Woman TV Sweden, Australia’s Ticker News and the Dear Prudence podcast. Joey established the first literary fellowship in Belize, her birthplace. www.joeygarcia.com.
- 11:00 – 12:00 – Check In
- 11:15 – 11:45 – Writers Table
- 12:00 – 12:45 – Lunch
- 12:45 – 1:00 – Business Meeting
- 1:00 – 2:00 – Speakers
COVID-19 GUIDELINES FOR IN-PERSON MEETINGS
- CWC-Mt. Diablo Branch will abide by all state and local guidelines to ensure attendees’ safety.
- If you are not fully vaccinated, not feeling well, or are uncomfortable with in-person meetings, we ask that you attend via Zoom.
- Proof of vaccination is required at entrance to the restaurant.
- Masks must be worn at all times when not actively eating or drinking.
- Zio Fraedo’s staff will comply with Contra Costa County Health Dept. guidelines.
- The room will be laid out per Contra Costa Health Dept. guidelines, to allow for safe distancing. Our workshop leader will be allowed to present without a mask at the required distance from attendees.
- Attendees are required to wear a glove on the serving hand while in the buffet line. Gloves will be provided.
- Masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer will be available as needed.
For complete information, see Contra Costa Health Department for new local health orders.
New For Mt. Diablo Members!
Guest Voucher Program
Give a friend $10.00 off a General Meeting or Workshop (Zoom or in-Person).
- Invite a guest who has never attended Mt. Diablo meeting
- Request a voucher for your guest for $10.00 off a Zoom meeting or workshop.
- We will email your guest a voucher number and link to register for the meeting. We’ll also notify you that we’ve done this.
- Your guest registers for the meeting, enters the voucher number, and receives a $10.00 discount.
Looking for handouts or other material from a past meeting? Click Here!
Meeting Cost In Person (includes lunch): $25 CWC Members (any branch) and $35 Non-CWC-Members
Meeting Cost Online (Zoom): $10 CWC Members and $15 Non-CWC-Members
PayPal or Credit/Debit Card Only
Deadline to Register for In-Person Attendance
February 9, 2022, 12:00 p.m.
The venue needs an estimated headcount by this time. However, your reservation is accepted through Friday at 8: p.m.
Walk-ins are welcome.
Fill out the form below.
You will be taken to a Paypal page after you click SUBMIT below. If you are paying by credit card, look for the “pay with credit or debit card” line on the Paypal page. You do not need a Paypal account.
By registering for this meeting, you acknowledge that the meeting may be recorded. Your consent is implied when you register.
Questions? Email Marlene Dotterer at firstname.lastname@example.org.