How to Win the Coveted ‘Golden Fork Award’
A Fashion Parade of Gussied-Up Baked Goods with Literary Themes
Each July, the California Writers Club holds its annual picnic for members in Joaquin Miller Park, Oakland, where our founders used to meet informally to offer each other encouragement and support.
A century later, we still get together there. The camaraderie continues along with good food, member readings and our members-only “Lit Cake” competition. The winner leaves with the “Coveted Golden Fork Award” to keep until the next Lit Cake event.
The rules are:
- Decorate a dessert with a literary theme.
- Bring it to our picnic in Joaquin Miller Park, Oakland.
- You do not have to bake it yourself.
Future rules may introduce new categories such as
- Best use of the registered trademark symbol (“R in a circle”) and
- Best multi-media cake (one entry, a few years ago, replicated Hal from Arthur C. Clarke’s 2001: A Space Odyssey. It talked when anyone approached it!)